Meatball Sundae by Seth Godin
Book Review - 2 Stars
I was very disappointed by "Meatball Sundae: How New Marketing Is Transforming the Business World (And How To Thrive In It) by Seth Godin.
Perhaps it was a book of the moment as what is new when written can seem mundane in just a few years or perhaps the target audience is for corporate America entrenched in the old economy.
Seth Godin Is a Leading Marketing thinker
I found the Meatball Sundae book long-winded and with little substance and irritatingly this is a book I'd flicked through in a book store. I think I must have read the few good bits then because I wasn't impressed when I started reading at home.
It rarely kept my attention and I think it's made up of blog posts which while connected don't seem to run into each other very well.
The Meatball Sundae Metaphor
I love the metaphor of the Meatball Sundae - it's the result of combining two good things together and creating something messy and disgusting because the flavours clash.
The Trends That Cause The Meatball Sundae
Meatball Sundae is based around a series of trends:
- Direct communication and commerce between producers and consumers
- Amplification of the voice of the consumer and independent authorities
- Need for an authentic story as the number of sources increase
- Extremely short attention plans due to clutter
- The long tail
- Google and the dicing of everything
- Infinite channels of communication|
- Direct communication and commerce between consumers and consumers
- The shifts in scarcity and abundance
- The triumph of big ideas
- The shift from how many to who
- The wealthy are like us
- New gatekeepers, no gatekeepers
Review Rating For Meatball Sundae by Seth Godin
Only two stars for Meatball Sundae.
I thought it was a waste of my time reading it but I kept hoping for something better to come through because I had faith in Seth Godin.
I was wrong in the case of Meatball Sundae although the reviewers at Amazon.com by enlarge love the book.
My copy is going to the charity shop tomorrow.
Am I Wrong About The Meatball Sundae?
If you loved the Meatball Sundae, then I'd like to know why so please leave me a comment below.