I like the tools which teach you a little more about yourself like the Kolbe A Index or Axiology based value profiles but both of those cost.
Thanks to Yanik Silver, I discovered a free survey from Steve Little called perfect Biz Finder which give you an assessment of your best role in business as it forces you to choose between various alternative answers for 48 statements.
Just give it a go - it takes about 5 to 10 minutes and you get a long report back.
It rates your strengths across six performance dimensions and I came out as:
- Balanced (the extremes were collaborating or prevailing)
- Orderly (thanks to my perfectionism fault)
- Balanced (the extremes were emotional and controlled)
I don't think I can argue with much of that and I think it helps to explain why I do what I do.
I recommend you take a look at Perfect Biz Finder and see how you rate. I'd be interested to read how you get on and whether any roles are dominant.
More Thoughts On The Perfect Biz Finder Strengths Survey
I have now had a little more time to understand the report and how it combines the six competencies across the ten different roles, identifying which are best suited and which are worst.
Like all these things you can either focus on your strengths and look to leverage those or recognise that your weaknesses could be creating huge constraints which are holding you back.
So my introvert tendencies - which can be quite strong are big problems when looking at the roles of entrepreneur, sales, service and training (classroom training I presume that means rather than one to one coaching) but it is a big strength for administration, production and technical roles.
While I like to play to my strengths, I recognise the constraint issue so I have looked at this to see where I am being held back:
- Administrative - 2 black marks - I can't follow somebody else's rules
- Entrepreneur - 2 black marks, the introvert and my perfectionism means that I am likely to hold back and not jump - it explains why I am not an entrepreneur despite my business skills.
- Medical - 2 black marks and I faint at the sight of blood and gore.
- Production - 2 black marks, my innovation and independent "strengths"
- Sales - 2 black marks, the same as entrepreneur
- Service - 2 black marks, introvert again and the fact that I am too independent
- Technical - 2 black marks because I am innovative and independent
- Training - 1 black mark for being an introvert
So that leaves me with two left that I'm not ruled out from on the basis of constraints - management and counselling.
Combine that with the fact that training on has one problem which isn't relevant in one to one coaching, does this mean that I am ideally suited to be an independent business coach?
Interesting isn't it.
I highly recommend that you make the time to try the Perfect Biz Finder Survey
Disclosure - I am an affiliate for the Kolbe A Index and the Perfect Biz Finder. If you click through from my link and then buy I earn a commission for the introduction.